The capital of Germany, Berlin is an attractive point for tourists. It offers a wide variety of cultural entertainments.
Seventeen years ago Germany unified and today East Germany is gradually rehabilitating and turns into a region full of life. Berlin is home of world famous museums, theaters, operas and art gallery. The city enjoys a flourishing artistic and musical life, and its calendar is full of events.
Aleksanderplatz (Alexander square) is located in the former East Berlin
and is important public transport junction.
Its name comes from the Russian king Alexander I in honor of his visit in 1805.
The square is best known with its giant TV tower.
On the square on the 4th of November 1989, 700 000 people gathered
on a peaceful protest against the eastern German political regime.
Few days later the Berlin Wall fell.
The Old National Gallery of Berlin presents the European art from XIX-th century.
The main attraction in the collection are the pictures of Renoar, Sezan and Born.
The building was designed by Friedrich August Shtyuler architect in 1876.
The Berlin cathedral (der Berliner Dom) is constructed in 1747. It has suffered several reconstructions. Originally designed in Baroque style, it was reconstructed in neo-classic style by the architect Karl Friedrich Shinkel from Berlin.
Nowadays the protestant cathedral was built by the plans of Yulius Rashdorf in 1905.
During the Second World War the building was destroyed during the Allied bombing.
Its renovation was finished in 1993.
Unter den Linden (in Linden)
Walking along the "Unter den Linden" boulevard you are walking through German history.
On both sides of the street there are historical buildings and statues of
Friedrich the Great, Alexander von Humbold,
Wilhelm von Humbold and Prussian generals.
The boulevard has been the heart of old Berlin, and on one of its ends is the famous Brandenburg Gate.
Zhandarmskiyat market (Gendarmenmarkt)
Zhandarmskiyat market sprung up in XVII-th century as a market square.
It is one of the most beautiful squares in Europe. It is surrounded by three of the most impressive buildings in Berlin - the German cathedral, the French Cathedral and Shaushpilhaus – the City Theater.
It is dedicated to the slaughtered Jews during the Second World War in Europe
and it was made by the New York architect Peter Ayzenman.
Holocaust Memorial was officially unveiled in 2005 and consists of 2500 concrete pillars,
arranged as an inclined grid.
The new synagogue
During the Cristal night of 8th of November 1938 in Berlin the Nazi burned the building together with 13 other synagogues.
An inscription on the facade reminds of this barbaric incident.
The new synagogue was built in 1866 and accommodates 3,200 people.
From 1953 to 1956 the famous German play writer Bertolt Brecht lived with his wife - the actress Helena Vaygel, in a house on 125 Shoseshtrase. Now it houses an archive, Brecht’s book collection and a monument dedicated to both them.
Built in 1894, Reichstag is a seat of the German Parliament since 1999.
Then the capital of united Germany moved from Bonn to Berlin.
The interior of the building has been modernized by plans of the British architect Norman Foster. He designs and its glass dome. The historical appearance of the building is almost entirely preserved.
Berlin Olympic Stadium
The stadium was built by Adolf Hitler for the Olympic Games in 1936.
In 2006 the last game of the World Football Championship was played.
Hackett hyofe and Sofienhyofe
In Hakesche Hofe there are variety of theaters, small shops, bars and restaurants.
Especially popular among the visitors of Berlin are the series of interrelated internal
yards. Some of the buildings within Hakesche Hofe’s territory are constructed by order of Friedrich the Great in 1750.
They are named after the former mayor of the city Hans Christoph Graf von Hackett.
The passport control point send you back to the division of Berlin from the Cold War. On the intersection of Fridrihshtrase and Tsimershtrase there is a copy of the old gateway. The original is exhibited in the Museum of allies on the territory of the former West Berlin.